Home / Council Housing

Council Housing Disrepair Claims

We are expert housing disrepair solicitors helping council housing tenants in their housing disrepair compensation claims.

For free advice or to check whether you are eligible for the claim or not, fill out the form or contact us at info@disrepairsolicitor.co.uk

We offers No-Win, No-Fee Services

We accept claims against Housing Association & Council

We help you a variety of disrepair issues

Get free advice

Our Expert Solicitors Help Tenants With Their Housing Disrepair Claims on No Win No Fee Basis, Get Free Consultation by Filling Out the Form.

Get a Free Consultation to Start Your Housing Disrepair Claim

By submitting this form you agree to our privacy policy and being contacted by Disrepair Solicitors.100% Secure SSL Encryption

Claim Compensation for House Disrepair Against the Council Housing

If you are living in council housing and experiencing significant disrepair issues, you may be entitled to claim compensation from the council. Here’s some information on how to proceed with a claim.

To begin, it is crucial to gather evidence of the disrepair. Take detailed photographs or videos of the issues, such as dampness, leaks, structural damage, or faulty essential services. Keep records of any correspondence with the council, including repair requests and their responses. These records will strengthen your case.

Next, inform the council in writing about the disrepair issues and the impact they have on your living conditions. Clearly state that you are seeking compensation for the inconvenience, distress, and any related expenses incurred due to the disrepair. Specify a reasonable timeframe for the council to respond and rectify the issues.

If the council fails to respond or does not adequately address the disrepair within the specified timeframe, you may need to escalate your claim. Seek legal advice from a housing disrepair solicitor or contact Disrepair Solicitors for assistance. We can guide you through the process and help you understand your rights and options.

In some cases, mediation or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) may be suggested to resolve the dispute without going to court. However, if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached through negotiation or ADR, you may need to consider legal action.

Consult your solicitor to assess the viability of pursuing a claim in court. They will guide you through the necessary steps, including filing a claim, presenting evidence, and attending hearings if required. Remember that the legal process can be complex and time-consuming, so having professional representation is beneficial.

It’s important to note that the specific procedures and regulations for claiming compensation against a council may vary depending on your jurisdiction. Therefore, it is advisable to seek personalized legal advice to ensure you follow the correct process in your particular situation.

Council Landlord Responsibilities for Repairs

Council landlords have several responsibilities regarding repairs in the properties they manage. Their primary duty is to maintain the structure and exterior of the property, ensuring that the roof, walls, windows, and doors are in good condition. They are also responsible for the upkeep of essential services such as plumbing, heating, and electrical systems.

Council landlords must address health and safety hazards promptly. This includes tackling issues like dampness, mould, and pest infestations. Tenants should be able to report repair problems easily, and the council landlord should respond in a timely manner.

Regular inspections are necessary to identify and address potential issues before they become major problems. Council landlords should have a clear system for tenants to report repair issues, and they must provide appropriate contact information.

If repairs are not carried out within a reasonable timeframe, tenants may have the right to claim housing disrepair compensation.

Council landlords are responsible for maintaining the property’s structure and essential services, addressing health and safety hazards, conducting regular inspections, and providing a responsive system for tenants to report repairs. Fulfilling these responsibilities ensures that tenants live in safe and well-maintained properties.

You Can Claim Compensation For

Damp and mould compensation

Damp & Mould

water leaks claims

Water leaks

pest infestation claims

Pest Infestation

structural damages

Structural Damages

broken heating system claims

Heating Issues

electric issues claims

Electric Issues

Resolving Council Housing Disrepair Issues

When facing council housing disrepair problems, it is essential to follow the appropriate steps to ensure a satisfactory resolution. Here is a recommended course of action:

Step 1: Report the Disrepair

Notify your local council about the disrepair issues in your property. Keep a record of all communications, including dates, times, and the individuals you speak with.

Step 2: Provide Evidence

Gather evidence to support your claims, such as photographs, videos, or written accounts detailing the disrepair issues and their impact on your daily life.

Step 3: Follow Up

If the council does not respond or fails to take appropriate action within a reasonable time, escalate your concerns to higher authorities or seek legal advice.

Step 4: Legal Assistance

Consulting with an experienced housing disrepair solicitor can provide you with valuable guidance and representation throughout the process. They can help negotiate with the council, assess your eligibility for compensation, and take legal action if necessary.

Your Rights as a Council Tenant

As a council tenant, you have rights that protect you from living in substandard conditions. Familiarize yourself with the following rights:

Right to a Safe and Secure Home

The council is responsible for ensuring that your council property is safe, habitable, and complies with relevant health and safety regulations.

Right to Repairs

If you report disrepair issues to the council, they are obligated to investigate and carry out necessary repairs within a reasonable timeframe.

Right to Compensation

In cases where the council has failed to address disrepair issues adequately, you may be entitled to compensation for the inconvenience, damage, or health implications caused.


Council housing disrepair issues can significantly impact your quality of life. Understanding your rights, promptly reporting problems, and seeking appropriate legal assistance are vital steps towards resolving these issues effectively. At Disrepair Solicitors, we are dedicated to assisting individuals like you in navigating through the complexities of council housing disrepair, ensuring your rights are protected, and achieving the resolution you deserve.

Who We Are

We are expert housing disrepair solicitors in the UK, with 100% client satisfaction rate. We are different form our competitors, our team working for all the UK tenants.

What We Do

We are always here to help you, in your housing disrepair compensation claims. Our Housing Disrepair Solicitors guide tenants of Council & Housing Associations that face disrepair issues and causes distress and other health issues.

Expert Advice

We are always here to advice you if you contact us and demand free consultation.